Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 7 - Whitewater Rafting & Horseback Riding

Today, we went whitewater rafting in the morning. We used a local outfitter, Dave Hansen Whitewater, who were very good. They took us by bus about 30 minutes southwest of Jackson where the Snake River Canyon starts. We were eight plus the guide in the boat. I sat on one side, A on the other. K & C were in the middle. It was a lot of fun. Below are three actual shots - these are scans from prints that we purchased.







The whole 8 mile stretch was not like this, of course. There were some quiet spots in between and we saw a bald eagle and some ospreys. A jumped into the river twice to cool down. I didn't as I was concerned whether they'd be able to heave me back into the raft. The whole ride was about 1.5 hrs. They had a picnic lunch for us at the end and then drove us back.

We only had about an hour to change and get back out to our horseback trip. We did this through another local outfitter, Jackson Hole Pack Trips. We were a bit late but we got on the horses and the trip was much better than I thought.



It was just us four plus the guide and the 10-year old son of the owner who came along. They took us up a hill, through open fields and a forest. Not being a horse expert (I think this was only the second or third time in my life on a horse for more than 10 minutes) I was amazed to see the terrain they could navigate. We went up some pretty steep slopes through deep, slippery mud in some parts and the animals had no problems.



At the top of the mountain we rode through a field of flowers -you can sort of make it out on these pics - but they really don't convey how amazing a view it was.

I did get pretty tired by the time we got back to the base camp and my legs felt pretty stiff. But it was a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment